Do you want to grow your business, innovate, drive efficiencies, &/or create new revenue streams? Of course, you do! Well data is the starting point…and this is the only data-focused roundup you’ll ever need!
DATA IN THE NEWS
“The heat generated by a washing-machine-sized data centre is being used to heat a Devon public swimming pool” – check out this BBC article that describes the concept of a ‘digital boiler’.
This covers 4 of my favourite things – data, the environment, tech, and water. What’s not to love?!
In DATA DATA DATA, I want to share the most important lessons learnt that I’ve realised in the last 5+ years since I set up Data³ and started working with SMEs on their data challenges and data opportunities.
This time, it’s that we all need to be careful that a little knowledge doesn’t lead you down the wrong path.
These days it’s easier than ever to get your hands on data tools. For example, anyone with a Windows laptop can start playing with Power BI. But without the right experience and knowledge you could end up with visuals like these:
Check out the one on false causation between Canadian automotive apprenticeship registrations and nectarine production.
Why does this matter? At best, you’ll miss opportunities to use data in decision-making. At worst, you might even make the wrong decisions.
Huge thanks to James Parr for the link.
I LOVE seeing examples of good/bad/funny data visualisations, data wins, data mistakes, and more.
This month, we have some selected by one of our BI developers Ellie, who wants to show us the reason why getting the Y axis is important.
These two examples show the value of starting the Y axis at zero…
Have you seen any examples of data craziness or wondrousness you want to share? Please drop me a line.
In previous issues of DATA DATA DATA, I’ve shared the most frequent questions, the team and I get asked…did you miss any?
Check out the ones on…
In future issues of DATA DATA DATA, I’ll cover other frequent questions that I’ve come across when talking data with our clients…anyone want to recommend any?
In this issue, we’re offering FREE Data Consultancy workshops to leadership teams who want to invest in data but don’t know where to start.
WHAT’S A DATA CONSULTANCY WORKSHOP?
- 1/2 day to 1-day duration
- on-site at your office or remote/online
- with you and your team – we recommend 2-10 people
Our agenda will cover:
1. YOUR BUSINESS REQUIREMENTS
- we’ll explore your goals/targets/aspirations/vision
- we’ll understand your commercial model and how you make money
- we’ll explore how your business could change in future
- we’ll understand your priorities and timelines
2. YOUR DATA SITUATION
- we’ll ask questions about the technology already in place
- we’ll ask you to tell us about the tools/platforms you use
- we’ll ask you to explain how data is collected, stored, processed and analysed today
- we’ll ask you to share some sample data outputs, like spreadsheets or dashboards
3. OUR DATA IDEAS
- we’ll create a data strategy for you
- we’ll recommend phases of work based on your priorities
- we’ll recommend which tech solutions to explore
- we’ll give you clear next steps
- we will send you a document summarising the workshop findings for you
WHAT WOULD YOU NEED TO DO/PROVIDE?
- Nothing – just your time and your business knowledge
HOW MUCH WILL IT COST?
- Nothing – it’s free
WHEN CAN WE DO IT?
- Anytime…we can work around you
What do you think? Could this be a useful first step to fast-track your data transformation? If so, drop me a line.
In future issues, I’ll share links to super useful, completely FREE videos, guides, templates, and similar…so, there are loads more freebies to come.
Thank you for reading…I’ll be back soon with more data news!
And, if you’re in data hell, I’m data Hels!
Recommend a friend or colleague to join our mailing list for DATA DATA DATA –firstname.lastname@example.org or
Connect with me on LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/helentanner/ or
Email me at email@example.com